Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tutorial - Simple Mini Albums

I’ve been asked to do tutorial on these mini albums. This is my first tutorial, so I hope I get it right. For these albums I used 3 ½ x 6 ¾ bags. You can buy the Celebrate It brand at Michaels and the Nicole brand at AC Moore. I prefer the Nicole brand because they are not at thick.


Materials: 1. 12 x 12 Chipboard (for cover) 2. Paper: The Spring Fling Stack (DCWV) 3. Butterflies – Martha Steward punch 4. Flowers – Cuttlebug Die Cut 5. Buttons 6. Crochet Thread (for the buttons) 7. Colored card stock 8. 3 1/2 x 6 3/4 paper bags

Instructions for Top Tag Insert


Step 1: Fold the bottom over on each side of the bag (total of 6 bags).


Step 2: Cut the top of the bag to the height you want. The bags in the picture are 5”.

Step 3: To bind the bags together I used Laura’s Stack the Deck technique. Laura makes amazing albums – her blog is http://followingthepapertrail.blogspot.com/ - Using craft paper cut one each of the following sizes:    

 5” x 1 ¾”
 5” x 2 ¼
 5” x 2 ¾

Score each end at ¾”, fold at score lines. - Glue the pieces together in the center to create binding.



Step 4: Glue the sides of the paper bags to the binding



Step 5: Cover your pages with paper. Then all you have to do is make your cover and glue or tape your pages to the inside. 





Instructions for Side Tag Insert



Instructions are the same as the Top Tag except I used larger bags, (4 ¾” wide) and folded the bottom sections down to glue to the binding.  Then cut the bags to measure 4 ¾” x 3 ½”. The pockets on the pages are made using cardstock.


The folded bottom will be used to glue to the binding.

Other: I usually put a thin layer of mattte finish Mod Podge on my covers for protection. I also do the same for delicate paper embellishments (like the butterflies) so they won't tear easily. The flowers on the smaller mini cover are made from burlap which come apart easy and they are "flat". I brushed them with Mod Podge and and when it was tacky, I formed the petals to give them dimension and to keep them from coming apart.